Sunday, May 26, 2013

Starting out light

Hey there everyone. Welcome! I started this blog as a way to share...things. Videos, thoughts, concerns, laughs. It's all about sharing, isn't it? Anyhow, I figured I'd break the ice by shamelessly plugging a couple of videos that showcase some of the more beautiful boulder problems around California's central coast. Just a quick disclaimer: I'm a huge supporter of the idea of a boulder problem being exactly that: a problem. And as a problem, it involves no small amount of creativity, time, and critical thinking. It's a process. That means that I won't always post videos of friends or myself "crushing that heinous v11 sit-start-to-a-shitty-thumdercling-micro-crimper." Sometimes it'll just be an update on a project. (Also, please forgive the poor video editing skills, they'll get better with time, I promise)

My goals for this blog are pretty meager at the moment. It'll hopefully be a safe haven for friendly banter and expression, as well as the occasional rumination on the heavier parts of life, and how climbing feeds into those parts. It's one of the more strange things I've noticed about bouldering: my life has become cyclical, and vastly interconnected. Climbing, at its most basic, fundamental level, affects every other part of my life. The beauty inherent in a particularly striking line can induce in me a feeling of such euphoria that I'd be hard pressed to say it's not some sort of spiritual experience. Likewise, the effects of a bad day on campus feed into my climbing, and I find myself punching the rock, rather than feeling it. But always, there's that feeling of interconnectedness. Climbing has become a base for me, a lookout point from which I can judge almost every other experience I encounter. It's said lightly by many people, but climbing really has become life, and life has become climbing.

"Beauty is Truth,--Truth Beauty,--that is all
      Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know"

-John Keats





No comments:

Post a Comment